Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Prayers

So, I know a lot of you out there are pray-ers and I'd like to throw out a request to you that may be a little odd, but I'm going to go for it anyway. I have had the desire for the past ten years to work with teenage girls in some capacity, loving them, walking with them through life, just being a friend and an older voice of experience and encouragement. I've done this so far through working at youth camps during summers and working with the youth groups at my church, but as most of you know, I have recently taken a break from all of that to remember how to rest. The past several years has been growing in me the desire to focus more with working with girls with beauty/body issues and eating disorders, encouraging them, walking with them through recovery, speaking God's truth to them, however I've never been sure about the context with which I would be able to do that since I don't want to become a professional counselor or psychologist. The past year has brought a new potential focus for me to enter into that world with - nutrition. I have been learning a lot about how our bodies were designed to work and what specific foods they were designed to work most efficiently with, I have been reading a lot, talking with Isaac's mom some as she is a Doctor of Naturopathy, and have become fascinated with the topic. Thus, my new potential goal is that at some point in my life I want to be working with girls with eating disorders, teaching them how they can remain healthy and at a healthy body weight with proper nutrition.

This could require a long process for me, though, and it would be a process that I don't know much about right now. So I want to ask you all if you consider yourself a pray-er to please send up a couple prayers for wisdom in how to best go about this and knowledge in choosing the right path. And of course, if you have any tips or advice, please feel free to send them my way. I know it would require more schooling, but I am very wary of that right now because I am working full time and don't particularly want to overwhelm my life with full time work and school. I don't know what type of degree I would need or if any of the online nutrition schools I am researching on the internet are held in high esteem by the world of nutritionists or are legit. I know this process will probably take place over several years of my life as I am past the age of going full time to college and getting a degree in just a couple years, so there's no hurry for me right now, but I would like to at least be exploring my options.

Thanks for taking a couple minutes to listen. I'll keep you posted on how things are working out (although, like I said, I'm expecting it to be a long process).
Talk to you soon, hopefully in person as we are going to see the families this weekend!

0 comments: