Thursday, June 19, 2008

The intelligent nerd that I am...

I know, I've mentioned it a few times, but I am LOVING the library! Reading is one of the most relaxing things I could do, which I understand not all of you will be able to relate to, but bear with me. I know you're probably thinking, how on earth is this a relevant thing to blog about? but work is a little slow today, so I have a little extra time on my hands. Lucky for you all...

Who knew that you could have thousands of book so freely at your fingertips?? (We were sadly devoid of a library out in the sticks where I grew up). Here's a list of my latest readings...at least the good ones:

1. Beautiful Boy by David Sheff. I just finished it this morning (at work, actually. Yes, it's that slow today). It's a father's journey through his son's addiction to meth and it's fascinating. I'm waiting for the son's memoir of those same experiences called Tweak, which is on hold at the library.

2. Prince Caspian by the great C.S. Lewis. Believe it or not, as much of a reader as I was growing up, I never read the Narnia books. My first experience was three summers ago reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, which intrigued me with Lewis' capability to write a book so famously loved by such a wide age range. Prince Caspian was entertaining enough, and I read it just in time as Isaac and I saw the movie last weekend.

3. The Red Tent by some woman whose name I can't remember. It's biblical fiction...the story of Dinah in the OT (Joseph's sister) told through her eyes and the eyes of the other women in that family. Yes, that was a good one.

4. Three Cups of Tea is the story of Greg Mortenson's years of devoting his life to building schools for the children, and especially the girls, of Pakistan and Afghanistan. Definitely a book to recommend.

5. Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer is also on hold for me. It's conveys the story of his near death ascent on Mount Everest. Krakauer is the man who wrote Into the Wild, so you know this one's going to be good.

6. Add two nutrition books to that mix: The A to Z of Vitamins, Minerals, and Supplements and The Nutrition Almanac. I haven't started either of them, so I have no idea what they hold for me, but I'm excited for them nonetheless.

There are many more, as I usually have five or six checked out at once, but I'll spare you. It's hilarious to me that the one thing I juggle now in my schedule is figuring out in what order and how quickly I need to read whatever books I currently have based on when they are due, if they're able to be renewed, and what new books are arriving. Ah, the life of the resting. Feel free to send along any recommendations if you've read something good as I am always looking for the next read.

0 comments: