Monday, May 19, 2008

It's definitely summer!!

Well, we went from Winter to Summer this year and it was GLORIOUS this weekend! I do believe it got up to 88 degrees on Saturday. And when the sun comes out, we come out to play. It started Friday with a hike with friends up to the top of Oyster Dome, which overlooks the San Juans. We stayed for a couple hours so we could watch the sunset, which was definitely worth the wait...so beautiful! On the way up, we stopped to check out the bridge that Isaac, Mark, Justin, and Ryan built last winter and, lo and behold, it was still holding fast! And it looked as good as when they built it. Here's a couple views for you...I think I mentioned this in one of the very first blogs, but I am so impressed that the boys built this! They strapped all the material onto their backs and hiked at least two hours up a steep mountain. When I make that hike, it's with nothing on my back and I'm still pretty tired when I reach the top. I can't imagine hiking up with all that wood and tools. And then there's the amazement that they know how to create a solid bridge like that! Yes, I'm definitely impressed. And I'm sure hundreds of hikers are thankful that they don't have to cross that rushing creek in the ravine any longer. Wanna see the sunset we got to watch? It was a perfect example of a Bellingham sunset. Love them! Saturday provided the first sunburn of the season for me as we walked around downtown, played at the park, enjoyed the warmth. And Sunday provided about the same. I bake bread on Sundays while Isaac is at youth group so we have bread for the week, and it was an interesting experience this time with the heat. I had both the front and back doors open, as well as the living room and bathroom windows, just to try to keep the house cool enough to bake in. It's a nice experience since I've been constantly cold for the past six months. All in all, it was a great weekend. Oh, and my other roommate, Becca, got engaged on Friday, which definitely added to the greatness of the weekend!
Oh, sun, how I love thee.

0 comments: