Monday, May 5, 2008

My apologies...

I'm starting out with an apology to all of you...I have no pictures for this post. I've been forgetting to bring my camera around as of late, but I'll try to do better. It's not like there was a ton of stuff to capture on film, but we did have a few fun aspects of the weekend. The first one was Saturday morning when Isaac, Justin, and I joined several other men and women from the church and went to work on weeding and tree-chopping for this woman at church who needed the help. We rolled up to the house and to the boys' joyful surprise, there in the middle of the yard was a bright blue Genie Lift. (For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of experiencing a Genie Lift, it's a monstrous machine that lifts you up in a bucket a couple dozen feet off the ground so you can chop tree branches.) I've never seen them look so happy on an early, rainy Saturday morning! The both went up, chainsaw in hand, and did considerable damage to the unwanted tree branches. I was really wishing for my camera at that point.
As for the garden that was in store for this weekend, we ended up staying at this woman's house for several hours and I was gardening the entire time, so I wasn't exactly feeling the 'let's go home and garden' idea that I had been excited for earlier. So we rested, read, cleaned, made dinner, just the normal Saturday affair. Yesterday became more of the garden day instead. After church we headed out to Bakerview Nursery and purchased our little seeds...carrots, lemon cucumbers, regular cucumbers, and shell peas, along with these beautiful sunflower seeds that I couldn't resist. Then we picked up our mulch/compost/good dirt blend and off we went to Isaac's to transplant our basils into the good mulch. We'll see if they perk back up with this healthy soil. The next step of digging the little outside garden in my yard will come this week, maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. Not today, however, because my parents are coming up to visit! They haven't seen the house I'm living in yet this year, so I'm excited to get to see them and have them see where I live. Isaac and I will make them dinner and then they'll head back down to Seattle, but it'll be nice to see them for a little bit at least.
There's one more thing I wish I would have taken a picture of...well, two things actually. Yesterday evening was sooo beautiful outside, pretty warm, blue skies, a gorgeous sunset, and Janelle (my roommate) and I were able to sit on the porch for a long time and read without getting too cold. That means summer's on its way! The other thing that was beautiful that I wish I could have shared with you was the view Isaac and I saw on our walk last night. He got home from youth group and we went on a night walk around this part of Bellingham that's up on a hill. We got to the top of the road and looked back to find all of Bellingham laid out below...pitch black except for the stars and the lights of the town. So cool!
Well, friends, 'tis time fo rme to start my day here at Hillcrest Chapel. And it's going to be a good one, I've decided.

0 comments: