Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A perfect weekend continued...

Morning, friends!
So, this perfect weekend...it started out Friday evening with a drive down the old I-5 headed to my parent's hous
e in the thriving metropolis of Appleton, WA. Snow had been in the forecast, so we were expecting a little bit of it, but nowhere near what we ran across on the road. This is what it looked like as soon as we hit Everett. In mid-April, no less! Isaac was like a little boy on Christmas, loving the adventure of driving in the snow. I was not quite as excited, but was able to fully enjoy it because Isaac was the one driving. (He's actually always the one driving on these trips as I cannot stay awake driving anymore past 10 or so at night...what a sweet guy!). The whiteness only lasted for another twenty minutes, though, and then it was smooth sailing on to Appleton. Saturday was spent with my parents, and after a wonderful breakfast that my mom put together, my dad sent Isaac up onto our roofs to get the piles of pine needles off for the insurance company. Scared my mom to death, but Isaac was more than happy to partake in the adventure, as he loves climbing on anything tall and at all dangerous. We roped him in for the house since that roof was the beast, but he was able to fly free without the rope for the garage. And he only fell off once :) Luckily, my dad happened to be right under where he fell, so that broke his fall some. You should have seen the look on my mom's face...It was a BEAUTIFUL day at my parent's house, though! The sun on the forest of trees is like nothing else I've ever seen! I never get tired of sunny days in Appleton. Speaking of Appleton, if you've never been there, consider this a treat. We drove around the tiny town, which consists of one four way stop, a volunteer fire department, and a one room post office. Yep, that's my 'town.' LOVE it! And it was really nice to be able to help my parents out with the upkeep on the property since it's just the two of them now. After Appleton, we headed to Vancouver to stay with Isaac's family, which was also a blast. We were welcomed home to a legendary waffle party with the extended family and it was as much fun as all the stories I've heard thus far. It's an hour of the Hurst kids stuffing themselves as much as they possibly can full of homemade waffles with a ton of fantastic toppings...yogurt, real maple syrup, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, peanut butter, you name it! I do believe James ate eight waffles, which is a record for him! It's James, Molly, and Isaac in the picture up above. And there's Melinda, on the left. I must say, I've never seen you look better, Melinda! A movie followed that, which was good because none of us could move very much after the feast. We also spent some significant time seeing who could do the best cross-eyed face and then only move one eye, which you can see Molly demonstrating here on the right. It was pretty hilarious. Sunday was church, a nap for me, lots of games with the siblings for Isaac, and a family trip to the park. It was lots of fun! And then we drove home (or Isaac drove home if you want to be specific). We pulled in at about midnight, pretty tired, but it was really a great weekend. Thanks for playing host, families! We'll see you all again soon!

1 comments:

Amy McAllister said...

Hey Isaac & Bec, Gpa & Gpa Olson just gave me your blogsite so I was checking it out. Becca, Do your parents live in Appleton, WA in Klickitat County in the gorge? I know this area as it's not too far from us. I show and sell real estate all over Klickitat/Skamania/Wasco/Hood River counties. Our electrician/friend-Rick Harris(wife Sarah)actually grew up in Appleton. They now live in North Bonneville. I also know Dave Swan who used to own the Appleton school/post office too. Well, I just thought this was a weird coincidence. Hope you are doing well and it'd be nice to see both sometime, maybe next time you come to Appleton. Aunt Amy in Hood River