Sunday, April 13, 2008

Humility...

Never before in my life have I been so aware of my shortcomings, my sin, my ugliness. It seems like every day is a new day for me to showcase my pride, my selfishness, unkindness, anger, indifference. Being unloving seems like second nature to me. The awareness of my sinfulness rests like a weight on my shoulders, reminding me that I am so easily capable of hurting those I love. This is who I am...I am a sinner. I am broken. I am human.

For some reason, God wants to know me - all of me, the selfishness, the sin, the pride, the anger, the ugly, ugly parts. For some reason He wants to know all of that, and then wants - actually deeply desires - to love me with everything in Him. I really don't understand why. I don't understand how the good in me can be worth the bad parts as well. But I do know that it is the most incredible gift to be given...to be fully known and still loved. I am fully known, and yet still loved more deeply than I can even begin to comprehend.

And for some reason Isaac wants to know me as well - all of me, all of my ugliness. And in a manner that reflects the love of our God, he still cares deeply for me even though I am fully known. Maybe because I am fully known.

To be known and still loved. It is the most humbling thought to me, and yet it makes my heart well up with such a deep gratitude. Who is this God who overflows us with such a love, this God who offers to fill us with that very same love so that we can love others better? How lucky we are that God loves us.

0 comments: