Wednesday, November 26, 2008

We get a four-day vacation! We're headed home (to my parent's house) this evening for the Thanksgiving holiday, which is always a good time. There's no snow yet there, but often Thanksgiving brings in the first dusting, so we're crossing our fingers that we should be so lucky. Isaac, especially, is a lover of the snow. I could take it or leave it, but mainly just because it's painful (yes, painful) for me to be cold, and I get cold far too easily to be living in the Northwest. But the first snow is always exciting enough to help me look past the freezing temperatures and enjoy the piles of white stuff. Can I just insert here that last winter we visited my parents' house and there was at least four and a half feet of snow on the ground! It was insane! And so fun to play in! Naturally, I don't have pictures of that incredible event to share with you, so you'll have to use your imagination, but it was something. I've never seen snow like that in all my years there!

In other news, I registered at the community college up here yesterday for my first two pre-req classes...Nutrition 101 and Pre-Calculus. And I got into both of them, which is no small feat considering I was scheduled to register after every single other person at the college since I was a newbie. I know I've said this a dozen times, but I'm really excited to start the classes. I've been plugging away at the Algebra book I got almost every night so I can have it finished by the time Pre-Cal starts and I am still oddly enjoying the math.

In even more other news, Isaac and I have discovered the secret to amazing food...are you ready for it?? Shredded chicken. Yes, shredded chicken. I apologize in advance to all of you who might find this portion of the post rather boring, but it's fresh on my mind from a meal we made yesterday, so bear with me. We tried it for the first time in a Thai recipe a few weeks ago because Isaac loves being as authentic as possible when it comes to cooking and he had noticed that in all the Thai restaurants he'd been to, they always tear their chicken instead of chopping it with a knife. So we tried it and are hooked! There's such a difference in flavor, it seems to soak up so much more of the goodness when it's shredded. And not only in Thai dishes, but in any style of food. We've had it in soup and Mexican dishes as well and it's been phenomenal in all! Mmm, mmm, mmm. I sure got lucky when I married a chef.

Happy Thanksgiving, my friends!

0 comments: