Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Down on the farm...

We're back at home after a great Thanksgiving holiday. We were with my family for most of the time since we'll be with the Hurst's at Christmas, and it was incredibly relaxing. Lots of time to just hang out, talk, draw (for Isaac) and do math (for me). Then we stopped by Isaac's family's home for the afternoon on Saturday for our fix of games and energy and had a lot of fun getting a chance to see everyone. I realized halfway through our trip that my camera was out of batteries, so there is, unfortunately, no shots of our family times, but Hannah took pictures of our grand adventure Saturday morning, so I'll share those with you. We joined Hannah and Mike (pictured above) for breakfast on her parent's farm up by my parents' house and came just in time for chores, which Isaac was super excited for...seriously. Having been best friends with Hannah for the past 17 years, I have experienced my share of chores and, no matter how hard I try, I'm just not a huge fan of large, moo-ing, poo-covered, four-legged farm animals charging me as they waddle toward their feeding bin. But Isaac was ready to experience farm life, so we woke up early and got there just in time. Much to Isaac's delight, there were two four-wheelers they use to get around the farm on, and one of them was Isaac's for the morning. Talk about a little kid at Christmas. So off we went to the cow barn to feed the chubby creatures. Han's little brother John showed Isaac the ropes...aren't they the cutest little farmers you've ever seen? There's nothing like a man in a John Deer hat to start your morning off right. Mmmm, mmm, mmm. Being the country girl that I am, I have a deep appreciation for these sorts of things. Once the cows were done, we were off to the horses, which, if you've ever heard Isaac talk about those beastly creatures, you know that his distaste for them runs nearly as deep as his distaste for ranch dressing. And that's saying something. He did well, though, I was so proud. Awww, look at him out there with them. When the horsies were all fed, we headed back and John got the tractor out for Isaac to drive, just so he could have the total farm experience. Isaac's Christmas list is growing longer by the second: a four wheeler, pet cow, pet horse, and now a tractor. Great. Then came the best part...our four-wheeling adventure. The beauty of where I grew up is that it's filled with miles of backroads and woods that barely anyone even knows about, let alone travels on. So we hopped on the four-wheelers for a little backroads adventure in the mud. You can see back at the beginning of the blog what we looked like when we started. Then Isaac started out driving our fun machine and, accidentally I'm sure, went through a huge puddle deep with mud, showering us with mud like it was raining from the sky. And once the first puddle happened, I think he figured why not hit all the rest? So he did. And then when John took the wheel, he tried to hit every puddle that Isaac had, plus any one Isaac might have missed. Let's just say I've never been more muddy in my life. But it was so awesome! Ahh, the joys of country living. And there he is again, my handsome farm-boy husband, complete with a Carhartt jacket this time! It's a great look for you, baby.

0 comments: