Monday, December 15, 2008

Finally...

It snowed! It snowed! We've been waiting and waiting and waiting and finally, accompanied by freezing cold temperatures, the snow started falling Saturday evening. We were at a Christmas party across town when it started, and by the time we left a couple hours later, there was a pile of snow about 4 inches high! I was more than happy to turn the wheel over to Isaac, and he was more than happy to accept. It's not that I'm scared to drive in the snow...having been raised in the back woods, I learned to snow drive almost before I learned to drive on bare pavement and I love it, I really do. It's merely that I've been dealing with one too many insurance companies as of late and I just don't want to go through the annoyance of another accident. So I'm all for letting Isaac skid around in his playground for my peace of mind. As soon as we got home, we bundled up (and I do mean bundled) and walked around town, surveying the sights of skidding cars, powerless against the pull of the ice. It was rather entertaining to see the people who thought their car was actually going to make it up some of the really steep hills...one winter in this town and you know not to even try some of them anymore. We were even able to help a guy push his truck through an intersection when all he could do was peel out. That was nice.

Did I mention that it's been freezing cold up here? I believe the thermometer read 11 degrees when we left for work this morning. So you can imagine our frustration when our heater decided to stop working Saturday night at, oh, about 11:30pm. That's about the worst scenario imaginable if you know me at all, as I do not do well under the blanket of freezing coldness. It made for a lazy Sunday morning, with me not getting out of bed until about 10am when our house was finally warm again. Our landlord (bless his heart) brought us two big space heaters early Sunday morning, and, surprisingly, they worked really well. And the maintenance guy should show up today, so hopefully all will be well again shortly, and until then, I will try to remember not to take our warmth for granted.

Oh, here comes the UPS truck. Nothing like unstoppable mail service, through the worst or the worst. Okay, today is not the worst of the worst, but it's still rather icy out there.

Well, friends, happy first day of winter! It's looking like it's going to be a beautiful blue-sky day up here in the 'ham.

0 comments: