Monday, November 3, 2008

Sailors and Witches...

As you all know, Friday night was Halloween and, as you all probably don't know, every year up here we ring in Halloween with a community-wide Harvest party at our church (recall the Star-Bellied Sneeches from last year). It's a huge event where we clear out our sanctuary and fill it with super creative decorations and dozens of booths of games that the kiddos can come play in exchange for more candy than they could ever eat in a lifetime. Well, close to that anyway. This year's theme was Narnia...as in the Chronicles of Narnia...so Isaac and I dressed accordingly. Isaac, as you can see, is a sailor straight out of Narnia. It is tradition for Isaac, Justin and their small group to create a booth out of the pvc pipe cannon they made a couple years back. Every few minutes, they stuff the cannon full of candy and set it off, shooting piles of candy across the room. It's definitely the hit of the Harvest Party every time. If you recall, one of the books is about the Voyage of the Dawn Treader (a ship), so this year, they built a little ship, strapped the cannon to it, and put on their best sailor attire. So handsome. As for me, I was positive no one was going to want to be the evil character at the church party, and someone was going to have to do it, so I selflessly volunteered myself for the role and exuberantly began putting together my best White Witch costume. So fun! Don't worry, I wasn't glaring all night, I only scared a small handful of children, and I got to wear my wedding dress a second time! What more could I ask for? All in all, it was a success. There's nothing better than spending Halloween with hundreds of the cutest little bumblebees, princesses, cowboys, and firemen.

0 comments: