Thursday, August 14, 2008

We had ourselves a few fun adventures this past weekend! We headed out of the 'ham around 8pm on Friday to drive down to Isaac's family because we were going camping with them for the weekend. Sounds relaxing, right? Well, the camping part was, but it was slightly the opposite of relaxing before the camping part even started. Around 9:30pm, the engine of Isaac's baby started whining like we've never heard it whine before and it lost most of it's power. We had enough ummph to coast up the off-ramp and into the first driveway we could find, but nothing worked after that. And we were still three hours from our destination. I'll spare you the gory details and just give you a quick summary of the rest. Essentially, we ended up getting the Benz towed to our friend's work in Seattle, and one of our friends from the 'ham drove all the way to pick us up and bring us back to my house. We pulled into my house at 1:30am, grabbed a snack and immediately got into my car and turned back around toward our original destination. We reached Isaac's family's house at 5:30 Saturday morning. Neither of us had slept, so we caught a quick three hours before we got up with the family to start the day. It was quite the late night adventure. Kudos to Isaac for driving the entire way (I was way too tired to be anywhere near a safe driver at that point). At least it was an adventure we got to experience together, right?
As for the rest of the weekend, camping was really enjoyable. We were in t
he gorge, which is beautiful (if you have the eye to see it). I wanted to show a picture of the trailer that came with us...it was quite the operation. I've never been camping with so many people before, so it was awesome to see how loaded the trailer was with food and supplies. Isaac's mom was incredible and made home-cooked meals every day for 20 people! Nicole flew up, too, for the weekend, which got everyone excited. Her living in California makes her homecomings especially sweet. There was kickball, swimming, lots of relaxing, games, blackberry picking (which was awesome except for the berry spiders all over the bushes..yuck). Michael brought some watermelons, which brings me to one of my favorite activities of Isaac's family...seed spitting. They purposefully will only buy seeded watermelons so that a spitting war can accompany the enjoyment of the juicy fruit. I was raised with no food playing (as many are, I'm sure), so the first time I partook of this activity, I was a little hesitant, but now I just love it! I gotta give it to Isaac, he's a champion seed spitter. Just another one of his incredible qualities. My parents dropped by for a few minutes after church and brought a box of the most incredible peaches I think I've ever eaten! They were so perfectly ripe, sweet, and juicy. Mmmmm, mmm. And here's Jayden...perfectly adorable doing anything, even if she's merely opening a bag of raisins. All in all, camping was a success!
When we got home, we checked our garden to find a HUGE cucumber, ready to pick and eat! It's as big as the ones you buy in the stores, if not bigger, which I am slightly excited
about because I wasn't sure how the cucs were going to fare with the lack of sunshine earlier in the summer. Not to worry, they are growing! There are several more, too, just none as big as this one yet. We've got some lemon cucumbers coming up as well. They're not quite ready, but one is almost eating size. We're going to pick the cucumber this afternoon and eat it with dinner...so exciting! The season of peas in our garden just finished, but for a couple of weeks, we were getting a few handfuls a day. And they were so sweet and good! The chives are good as well, and the sunflowers are coming up. I cannot wait until they burst into color...hopefully they will before I have to move out. Speaking of which, we get the keys to our new place in six days!! Who-hooo! Talk to you all soon!

0 comments: