Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Blustery days and baby blue Volvos...

Here's a fun story for you all. As most of you know, Isaac's beloved '84 Mercedes (given to him a year ago for free) went to car heaven a couple weeks ago. It was a sad day because Isaac had grown to really love that car. The transmission died and it was going to cost over $3,000 to get it fixed, which is more than double the value of the car and just not quite worth it for us. So we gave her up to a charity last week and planned to continue biking/busing our way to work and using my car as our primary car when we needed to drive. It made for a slight bummer of a week, but life happens, right?

Fast forward to Monday of this week.

Isaac was biking home from work and randomly biked by this '71 baby blue Volvo wagon (I'm sure there's more of an official name for it, but since I'm writing this blog and Isaac isn't, that's the girly description you get) that this old man had just put up for sale that day. Isaac stopped to look at it, talked to the man for a couple hours, checked everything out, found out that this man had kept the car in perfect condition because he LOVES his Volvos and wouldn't even sell the car to someone who didn't love Volvos like he did. It was a great find! So Isaac took it for a test drive, stopped by the bank then and there and bought it! I promise to take pictures of it soon so you, too, can share our joy. The cool thing is that this is exactly the car he wanted before he was given the Mercedes. So we weren't even looking for another car, and God blessed us with his dream car for a great price! Yay, God!

Fast forward to this morning.

Due to the slight downpour and blustery-ness of the day here in the 'ham, I, being not quite as adventurous as the love of my life, decided to drive to work instead of bike. So I get in my trusty Kia (also given to me by my parents a year ago after my other one was crunched and died...a definite blessing from mom and dad) and, lo and behold, it decided to stop accelerating this morning. No idea why. It started fine, but my foot was to the floor and it was just creeping along with the check engine light blaring at me from the dash. I made it to the end of the block and then used my impeccable reasoning skills to determine that it was extremely unsafe to continue driving at this point. So I turned her around, crept back down the block, parked her safely to the curb, hopped on my bike, and braved the wind and rain into work.

I say all this as a testimony to how good God is. We had no idea we would be needing a car and were counting on the Kia to get us through another year or so, but God knows our lives and our futures and he knew we were going to need another car. So he provided us one two days before mine died. It just makes both of us laugh out loud at the irony and incredibleness of the provision of our God.

Post Script. For those of you mechanics out there reading this who are saying out loud to your computers, "Wait, the Kia might not be dead yet...check this first, and maybe this..." have no fear. We're not pronouncing her fully dead yet. Isaac has a few things he wants to look at first and I'm sure we'll take her into a shop to get an estimate if it comes to that. So don't worry, we'll keep you posted.

0 comments: