Tuesday, February 2, 2010

An Alexie and a Beah...

The house is clean, candles are lit, and the aroma of a flourless chocolate delicacy is wafting out of the oven as it finishes baking. Our Peace mix echos in the background as I open the bottles of wine and put water on for tea. Isaac packs up the xbox, gives me a quick kiss, and makes a run for Justin's before the estrogen overtakes the house. Shortly thereafter, the girls arrive - first Alex, fresh from Bikram, then Grace with her bouncy curls (and Morgs joined us in spirit from the tropical land across the sea). We have a little catching up time before Beth and Stephanie arrive, then the wine is poured, chocolaty goodness is served, and the girl time begins. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we have started a bookclub. How very refined of us, I know.

Now, most of you know that I have been extremely hesitant to commit to any kind of extra curricular activity over the past couple of years in my quest for rest and a calmer life, but I have to say this bookclub thing was a fabulous idea. I mean, you can't go wrong with a girls' night to begin with, but add the good food and stimulating discussion of a meaningful piece of literary work that we have just finished pouring ourselves into for the past month and you've got a really great way to spend an evening. January's book was
A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah - this month is The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. By the way, Lynn-t, I think about you every time I open the book, which has been every day for the past week.

It's a little unfortunate that it's just a once-a-month occurrence, but I suppose that helps ward off the possibility of it becoming just one more commitment that overwhelms our lives. So until next month, ladies, may you spend many a night curled up with a cup of tea and dear ol' Sherman.



2 comments:

Morgan said...

Mmm, wine and chocolate - I can't wait until I get home!

Alex said...

I'm loving Shermie too! I need to be careful not to miss my bus stop though; once I start reading it I forget what I'm doing!