Friday, June 12, 2009

For the fruits and roots...

Building, creating, designing, crafting...these are the things that Isaac loves most. It makes me smile when the weekend comes because I am beyond excited if we have nothing planned and I am free to lie around in the sun reading a good book all day, but not Isaac. He isn't fully satisfied unless he has a project he can work on, and being that we haven't purchased any land yet and therefore have no house to be building, he is relegated to smaller-scale furniture projects for now. Here's his latest from this past weekend...a new shelf/cupboard/storage space for our fruits and roots. Isaac can do anything when it comes to building - he can work completely from scratch, design things all on his own, or take a run down piece of junk and remodel it into something beautiful. The latter was on the docket for this project. We found a pretty hideous old shelf from the re-store, complete with pink floral shelf liners and pepto bismol paint and Isaac went to work. I know I've said this before, but it amazes me the vision that man has. I see something hideous and cannot for the life of me imagine how it could be resurrected into something I would like to have in my kitchen, but Isaac can see hope for the ugliest of ugliest things. Case in point, this pepto bismol shelf. And every other piece of furniture that is currently in our house. Step one was to completely dismantle the thing so he could sand the pink off and then apply a stain to the wood so it could be displayed in its natural beauty. Then he brought it inside to our paint room (aka, the kitchen floor), reassembled it, stained it again, then put several coats of white onto the outside. Then in went the original visionary elements - three old stainless steel locker baskets - and she was complete! Who would have ever guessed the pink shelf was even related to this beauty? The best part is now when I open our cupboard door, sweet potatoes and tomatos no longer come rolling out onto the counter! By the time we actually do get land and can build ourselves a house, at least we know we won't have to spend copious amounts of money building furniture since it will all have been build during the years of waiting...

Um, this is exciting. Isaac Daniel and I are going to the Log Show this weekend! The Log Show! I mean, how much more hick can one get? And the best part is that Isaac's even excited about it. I think he's probably not as excited about the hick part and more excited about the fact that one of the events involves chain saws that have been built with ATV and motorcycle engines, but whatever gets him there is fine with me.

0 comments: