Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Blue? You're sure?

Here's a fairly typical scenario from our life. Isaac will come home with a brilliant new design idea that he has formulated throughout the day and will be brimming with enthusiasm about, and, quite happily, he recounts to me exactly what he is planning to create for our house and why it's going to be amazing. The look on my face at this point usually involves a slight squinting of the eyes coupled with several brief nods as I attempt to visualize the new product being described to me. I like to think the squinting helps me, but most of the time, I'm left as lost about the whole thing as I was before Isaac started. This is not because I can't understand what he's saying, it's just that what I visualize from his descriptions are usually not what he's visualized in his head, and the things I visualize are not very attractive things. You can imagine the dilemma that might create. It's actually become quite the humorous thing between us. The great thing about Isaac, though, is that, tried and true, I know whatever he ends up making is going to look awesome whether I can picture it or not, so I'm learning to just let him go with it, no matter what the idea is. The bookshelves are a perfect example. The coffee table, another example. The couch...same thing.
A couple weeks ago, though, it happened again, and regardless of the assurance past experience has brought me on these things, I just could not for the life of me picture how this one was going to work. We have a beautiful wood kitchen table and have been collecting chairs to go with it. This is a very purposeful thing - Isaac wanted six different chairs that shared some of the same characteristics, but would all be slightly individual, brought together by the final paint job that would blend the chairs as a complete set. Well, a couple weeks ago, Isaac came home with the perfect color he had chosen...bright blue. Can you picture that working? Yeah, I couldn't either, but lo and behold, Isaac's artistic side won me over again and now I love them! This I know, my friends, life is never boring when you live with an artist.

0 comments: