Monday, August 3, 2009

Where the switchbacks are...

I have found the place I want to live forever and forever. It's perfect. Beautiful rolling hills amongst a forest of evergreens and leafy greens. Country driveways...the kind that are mostly dirt with patches of grass growing up through the middle section of earth between the two tire tracks...snaking away from the road deep into the trees. It's an island, surrounded by the most beautiful water you've ever seen. Just a small population of people call this island home, which makes it even more perfect. And those who do are largely hippies and artists, content with living life slowly, uninfected by the rush that so often defines the lifestyles of mainlanders. Isaac and I biked onto the ferry to Orcas Island this weekend with Tommy, Morgan, Justin, and Alex and spent the day riding through the land to the tune of a perfect 75 degree day. The whole ride to Eastsound, I couldn't stop shrieking about how incredibly beautiful everything we rode past was. Apparently I was 'being a girl,' but I couldn't help myself. Isaac, Tommy, and Justin decided to tackle riding up Mt. Constitution in their cute little biking outfits for fun - yes, fun - but us girls opted to stay in town and meander through the farmer's market and cute little shops. Mt. Constitution, I should mention, gains about 2000 ft. of elevation over a 'short' 8-mile stint of switchbacks, so once you start up, there's no relief until you hit the top. And nothing short of dying from a heart attack would make these boys stop to rest before conquering the mountain. So they pedaled up the entire thing while we cheered them on from sea level. I even bought the most adorable dress ever in one of the shops to celebrate Isaac's great feat! Unfortunately, Isaac said we can't live there because there would be no jobs for us. Which is true, but still...sigh...it would be so perfect. It was so perfect. Maybe someday, huh? I suppose if I can't live there, though, where we live right now is a pretty good second, so I should probably stop complaining, but still...

0 comments: