Thursday, September 11, 2008

So we baked a fruit cobbler...

Blueberry-nectarine, to be exact. And I suppose I should specify that 'we' in this case refers to Morgs and me, not Isaac and me. Let me apologize in advance to those of you who think that perhaps I write too often about the food we make, but cooking is one of Isaac and my favorite things and baking is particularly close to my heart. Just the thought that I get to go home and bake some fresh bread or experiment with a new type of pastry or cookie, or in this case cobbler, brings a smile and sigh of contentment to my heart. So much of our lives are spent making food together that I can't write about our lives and not include our creations in the kitchen. But back to the cobbler...it was the perfect, relaxing evening activity. Mo and I had a huge mixing bowl full of sliced nectarines, quite possibly the best nectarines I've ever had in my life, a perfect blend of sweetness, spicyness, and tartness and perfectly ripened to the point that a bite melts in your mouth (I'm not kidding here). Add a couple cups of blueberries to those, a little honey, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon, pour that into a dough that's poured over melted butter and...whalah...perfection. Well, almost perfection. I'm not sure I've ever had a cobbler before and I wasn't expecting such a cakey consistency in the dough. It was definitely good, but I think next time I'll turn it into a crisp instead. Ummm, let me interject here...take a moment to notice the beautiful hanging plant above my head and the little herb garden on the table behind me. Awesome, huh? Both gifts from Isaac, they're the beginning of our indoor garden, and when I say indoor garden, that's exactly what I mean. It's our goal to get as much living greenery inside our little house as possible before the year is out. I love it!
Nine days left, nine days left, nine days left...

0 comments: