Saturday, February 28, 2009

What a glorious day...

Weather-wise, that is. And I would, of course, not be talking about today as it is rather dull and gloomy in the out of doors this afternoon. But a couple days ago it was glorious indeed! Glorious enough to hit up our summer stomping grounds with Mo, Tommy, and Cody. We still had to bundle up but the sky was perfectly blue and the sun was beaming down on us the whole time! It's technically a beach, I suppose, but it's more like a long stretch of rocks to climb and trees to explore around, all with the most incredible view of the sound you've ever seen. The boys started bouldering immediately while Mo and I just sat and soaked up the sunshine...until our legs about froze off and we headed back to our warm houses because, after all, it is still winter up here. Speaking of winter, we had this schizophrenic snowstorm day before yesterday completely out of the blue, dumping several inches on us and then melting all away the next day. I am officially done with snow and ready for summer. No more scarves, hats, and jackets in order to go outside and enjoy the earth.
I made something cool today...granola! Isaac and I both love granola, and we had tried to make some a couple months ago, but the batch didn't end out that well and we haven't gotten around to trying again. But I acquired that secret stash of gluten-free oats a few weeks ago and have been craving a good granola like crazy, so I searched and searched through recipes, found one that looked fairly decent, and succeeded in making the best tasting granola I've ever eaten! I suppose that could partially be affected by my monstrous granola cravings since I've been deprived of it for nearly a year, but Isaac attested to its goodness. I think the key was using a little bit of several different natural sweeteners...honey, maple syrup, molasses, and cane sugar, which gave it a full-bodied flavor instead of being overpowered by one alone.

We're off to Saturday soccer, another little reminder
that spring is right around the corner!

0 comments: